From Albuqueurque Airport and Santa Fe, New Mexico
From Albuquerque Airport:
Exit the airport and merge onto I-25 going north to Santa Fe. You will stay on this road for about an hour. When nearing Santa Fe exit on the Santa Fe Relief Route (NM SR 599) and go around Santa Fe toward Española and Los Alamos.
From Santa Fe take US 285 N./US-84 N. through Española. When you come to the stop light with Dreamcatcher Cinema on the right, go through this light and at the second light take a left on US-84 Truck Route (Stanley a Griego Bridge Rd. At the next light turn right (Rt. 30.) In a very short distance you will come to another light and a ‘T’ intersection. Turn right back onto regular Hwy. 84.
From here you will remain on Hwy. 84/285 for about an hour. You will see Bodes Gas Station on your right.
- From Bodes Gas Station, take Hwy 84 NW.
- After 6.5 miles, follow signs for Abiquiu Dam, turning left onto 96.
- After 4 miles of twisting road along the lake, turn left onto 194.
- After 1.8 miles you will go over 2 speed humps.
- 0.2 miles later, keep left at the fork.
- 0.7 miles after the fork, turn right onto 198, an unpaved dirt road.
- After about 0.2 miles, stay to the right as the road curves right (at the yellow "Children at Play" sign).
- Continue for 1.8 miles on the winding dirt road, past numerous homes, until you see on your right our first gate and Flagstone Sign: "Monasterio del Santo Archangel Miguel".
- Continue past the sign and gate for about 0.1 miles until you see the next gate on your right, this is our guest house entrance. Open the gate and park here in the guest house parking lot.
If you go onto the breezeway and walk through you will see the back yard, continue on, step off the portal (porch) and follow the path and you will come to the foot bridge over the creek. Cross the bridge and walk up to the main house if no one is at the guest house.
We strongly suggest arriving before sundown as it can be very tricky to navigate in the dark.
The nearest gas station is about 20 to 30 minutes away, at Bode’s Store (see photo.) They have groceries but are quite expensive. For serious shopping there are several grocery stores in Española. For directions please access the internet.
We do not receive any cell phone service at the Monastery. If one drives to the entrance to the canyon it is said there is service for Verizon customers. If one drives back out of the canyon and over the dam towards Highway 84 (the route from whence you came), other providers are available. Of course, in case of emergency one can ask a blessing to use the Monastery land line.